Developed within the late Nineteen Nineties, fexofenadine is an anti-allergic prescribed to alleviate allergy-related signs akin to rhinitis, conjunctivitis, and dermatitis.
What is fexofenadine?
It is an antiallergic labeled as an antihistamine. Given the traits of this drug, it ought to be used solely underneath medical prescription and steerage.
In what situations is the drug prescribed?
The drug has been utilized in scientific observe for over 25 years and its effects are well-known. However, it is necessary that you simply use this medication rationally, that is, use it in the correct amount and on the proper time.
Fexofenadine could be prescribed alone or with different medicine to deal with the next ailments:
- Allergic rhinitis (sneezing and stuffy nostril, itchy nostril, roof of mouth, throat or eyes, runny nostril);
- Allergic conjunctivitis (eyes tearing and redness);
- Hay fever (as a result of pollen of some crops);
- Skin allergic reactions (akin to a pink, itchy rash on the pores and skin [urticária]🇧🇷
Understand how it works
Upon ingestion, fexofenadine is quickly absorbed, undergoes negligible hepatic metabolism, and is excreted in feces (80%) and urine (11%).
To management the allergic response, the drug blocks histamine receptors (a substance produced by the physique itself and which causes allergic reactions), stopping its signs.
It is anticipated that, from 1 to three hours after administration, it might be potential to watch its effects. Depending on the presentation (120 mg and 180 mg), this may final for a minimum of 12 and 24 hours. This clarification comes from Daniel Christine Marini, Pharmacist and Director of CRF-SP.
Find out there shows
Allegra® is the model identify of fexofenadine. But you could find generic variations.
Check out the shows and examples of accessible dosages:
- coated tablets – 60 mg; 120 mg; 180 mg
- Oral suspension – 6 mg
What are the professionals and cons of fexofenadine?
According to skilled recommendation, fexofenadine is protected, efficient, potent, quick and long-lasting and has few side effects. All these traits make the drug a wonderful possibility.
Pharmacist Anibal de Freitas Santos Jr., professor at Uneb, provides that as a result of it is a second-generation drug, it doesn’t trigger drowsiness: “This signifies that no impact has been noticed on the power to drive a automobile or function equipment, sleep modifications. Central nervous system (CNS) on patterns or different actions”.
The solely drawback identified by consultants was the age restrict for its use.
What is the distinction between fexofenadine and loratadine?
Both medicine are thought-about second-generation and, due to this fact, outlined as non-classical and non-sedative, explains pharmacist Amoni Mourad, professor of the pharmacy course at Universidad Presbyterian Mackenzie and technical adviser to CRF-SP.
“Although these medicine are thought-about equal, loratadine has much less interplay with different molecules, which could be thought-about a slight benefit over fexofenadine”, provides the skilled.
Know the contradictions
In common, the group of medicine that features fexofenadine is thought-about efficient and protected, however there are some contraindications and precautions associated to its side impact profile.
Thus, the drug shouldn’t be utilized by people who find themselves hypersensitive (or know that somebody within the household has had the same response to its energetic precept or every other part of its system).
Also watch out within the presence of the next situations, which aren’t at all times absolute contraindications, however require the eye of those that prescribe the drug and those that will take the drug. Check out:
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding
- 6 months or lower than 12 years of age (relying on dose and illness being handled)
Can youngsters and aged folks use it?
Yes. “However, within the pediatric inhabitants, dosages and indications should respect the minimal age. For instance, youngsters older than 6 months could be given the drug in case of dermatitis; older than 2 years, in case of rhinitis”, says Claudio Marcio UD Equino, otorhinolaryngologist. of HU-UFSC, related to Ebserh community.
The aged may additionally profit from using fexofenadine, however it is necessary to pay attention to the affected person’s use of different drugs, or the presence of any illness that will alter the anticipated motion. This is why these sufferers must be monitored for potential treatment changes.
I’m pregnant and intend to breastfeed. Can I exploit fexofenadine?
Although there are not any particular contraindications for using this drug in pregnant and lactating girls, there are not any research certifying the security of the drug indication on this group.
Thus, it can be utilized solely when there are not any different choices and, above all, after a previous medical analysis of the dangers and advantages for the affected person and the kid.
What is one of the simplest ways to take this medication?
Prefer to take it with water, respect the dosing schedule prescribed by your physician and keep away from breaking the pill.
Although there is usually no file of interplay with meals, that is, you may take it with meals or individually, when given with orange, apple or grapefruit juice and fatty meals, using the drug by the physique could be diminished. . So, select to keep away from them close to the time of drug administration.
Is there a finest time of day to make use of this medication?
not The necessary factor is that fexofenadine is used precisely as prescribed by your physician.
What ought to I do after I neglect to take treatment?
When this occurs, take it as quickly as potential. If you observe that the time of the subsequent dose is close to, anticipate the correct time to present the dose and resume the schedule of drug use. It is inappropriate to take two doses without delay to make up for a missed dose.
If you neglect the correct time to make use of the medication, set some sort of alarm to remind your self.
What are the potential side effects?
This drug is thought-about to be nicely tolerated, protected and efficient when used as prescribed by a doctor.
Even so, The commonest side effects are dizziness, fatigue and dry mouth, particularly when the dose is excessive. In addition, different reactions could be noticed, which spotlight the factors described beneath:
If you discover the presence of different extra extreme signs throughout therapy with this drug, inform your physician.
Fexofenadine is not metabolized by the liver, so it has few interactions with different medicine. When this occurs, its impact could be modified or diminished.
Tell your physician, pharmacist or dentist if you’re utilizing (or have not too long ago used) any of the substances described beneath, some examples of that are potential:
- Other antihistamines (akin to azelastine)
- Anticholinesterase inhibitors (donepezil)
- Anticholinergics (benzotropine)
- Anti-vertigo (Bettastine)
- Opioid analgesics (buprenorphine, hydrocodone)
- Antifungal (Itraconazole or Ketoconazole)
- Antibiotics (erythromycin, minocycline, rifampicin)
- Prokinetic agent (metoclopramide)
- Botulinum toxin
- Antacids containing aluminum or magnesium
Although there is no information within the literature on interactions with natural medicines and dietary supplements, it is advisable to tell a physician or pharmacist concerning the potential use of those merchandise.
Interaction with alcohol
The literature on the drug makes it clear that there is no vital interplay with reasonable consumption of alcoholic drinks. However, in your case, discuss to your physician to know if this observe can enhance the looks of undesirable side effects.
At residence, implement the next ideas:
- Note the validity of the treatment indicated on the cartridge. Remember: After opening, some medicines have a brief shelf life, which is additionally affected by the way you retailer them;
- Carefully learn the leaflet or directions for using the drug;
- Swallow the tablets complete. Avoid crushing or slicing them in half — they will damage your mouth or throat;
- In the case of capsules, don’t open the contents with water, meals and even discarding them. Always use intact capsules;
- In case of oral suspension, shake the bottle nicely earlier than use. Always clear the dosing cup earlier than and after use and retailer it subsequent to the medication bottle, to keep away from mixing with different medicines;
- Respect the really useful dosage limits;
- Choose a spot protected against gentle and moisture for storage. Kitchens and bogs will not be the best choice. The ambient temperature ought to be between 15 °C and 30 °C;
- Store your drugs in a tall compartment. The thought is to make entry tough for kids;
- Try to search out out which locations close to your private home settle for treatment disposal. Some pharmacies and pharmaceutical industries have already got storage initiatives;
- Avoid disposing in family waste or bogs. Empty glass and plastic bottles in addition to empty packing containers and cartons could be recycled.
The Ministry of Health maintains a booklet for the rational use of medicine (in PDF), however you may complement the studying with a booklet from the Institute of Technology in Drugs (Pharmenguinhos – Fiocruz) (in PDF) or the Regional Council of Pharmacy. Sao Paulo (additionally in PDF). The extra you educate your self about well being, the much less threat you’re taking.
Sources: Amoni MuradPharmacist, Professor of Pharmacy Course at Universidade Presbiteriana Mackenzie (SP) and Technical Advisor at CRF-SP (Regional Pharmacy Council of São Paulo); ANIBAL DE FREITAS SANTOS JRPharmacist and Full Professor at Uneb (University of the State of Bahia); Danielle Christine Marini, Pharmacist and Director of the CRF-SP (Regional Council of Pharmacy of São Paulo), Professor of the Medical Course at UNIFE (University Center of Associated Teaching Faculties/São João da Boa Vista) and Integrated Faculty Maria Imáculada (Mogi Guacu/SP); And CLAUDIO MARCIO UD EQUINOOtorhinolaryngologist at HU-UFSC (University Hospital of the Federal University of Santa Catarina), which is a part of the Abcerh Network (Brazilian Company of Hospital Services). Technical evaluate: Amoni Mourad.
Reference: ANVISA (National Health Surveillance Agency); Crown KL, Shuri MP. Fexofenadine. [Atualizado em 2022 Maio 18]🇧🇷 In: StatePearls [Internet]🇧🇷 Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan- Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK556104/.